Friday, February 27, 2009

It's All in Girard, man.

It's true. You ought to try it out.

Proverbs 27:4 Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?

The answer, of course, is that no one is able to stand before envy. This is the chief sin of the brotherhood since there were brothers. Ever since Cain killed Abel, brothers have envied one another producing all sorts of sordid sins. This was true with Cain and Abel, Isaac and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his brothers, Moses and Aaron, Abimelech and his brothers, and many others, down to Jesus and his brothers,, the brothers James and John and their brothers, the other apostles.

Only in Jesus Christ, who was killed for envy, can envy be killed. And the rest of the epistles are about this very thing, love one another. Do not bite, devour and kill.

Girard helps us understand this in "I See Satan Fall Like Lightning." That is the first and only Girard that I have read. I am told that this is one of his more accessible books. You know what that means, right? It means that people like me can understand it. I did, sort of. But I am gearing up to do a bit more of Girard, cause its all in there, man!

1 comment:

Megan Okimoto said...

Let me just say that it's rather refreshing to see a Frenchman getting positive attention. ;^)