Thursday, February 19, 2009

Things I Never Noticed in the Bible

This one is really bad. I mean, from the perspective that I never noticed it before but we ARE trying to be honest. I suppose we reformed types are always dealing with the 'faith and works' aspect of this passage instead of the faithful works aspect.

James 2:14-17 14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

The thing I never noticed is verse 15, If a brother or sister, come to you. I had always read that, if a man come to you, or if someone comes to you. We do have an obligation to the broader world, I am not arguing against that. But this passage does not argue FOR it. We are talking about family members here, both immediate family and church family. I think the passage more specifically means those in your local church, your brothers and sisters in Christ. We are required to take care of them giving them food and clothing. But it does not place a universal requirement to take care of every one who needs food and clothing. This is especially important because the 'everyone' view, or the 'anyone' view means we have to take care of those who have no connection to us besides, perhaps, the connection of human. But we ARE given requirements for brothers and sisters, those we are covenantally connected to.

No comments: