Thursday, February 19, 2009

Things I Never Noticed in the Bible

2John 1The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;

I suppose that I noticed this before, but I never did 'notice' this before, if you get my drift. This letter is written to the elect lady, AND HER CHILDREN. We don't know how old they are so we cannot make this another paedobaptist passage. Oh.....yes, we can! We Prebyterians can make almost anything a paedobaptist passage. Really, we can, it is required for our seminary exams.

The Apostle John, like Jesus, cares about the children. It is not so much whether we can prove that there are infants in the home but the fact that the Apostle is talking to a household. It is even more than that, really. It is not just a household he is talking to, as if a household, was a thing, or a somebody. He is talking to a lady AND to her children. He loves them both. He loves them all. I never noticed it before and I thought it was worth paying attention to.

No comments: